Fresh local lotus-root is available from autmun to winter. Root vegetables are the perfect ungredients to literally warm you up in this chilly season. The Kinpira stir-fry style with sugar and soy sauce is applicable to other root vegetables as well such as Gobou, carrots etc.
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
- 200-250g Lotus-roots (蓮根Renkon)
- 3 dried chilis (remove seeds if you don’t like spicy dish, chop with seeds if you like it spicy!)
- 1 big spoon Sesame oil
- 2 big spoon Soy Sauce
- 1 big spoon Sugar
- 1 big spoon Cooking rice wine
- 1 big spoon Mirin
- 1 big spoon sesame seeds
1. Wash, peel and slice lotus-root into 0.5cm.
2. Heat sesami oil and chilli in the pan.
3. Add sliced lotus root and stir for 3min.
4. Add 1/2 cup (100ml) of water and add soysauce, sugar, sake and mirin and mix gently.
5. Cover the pan with medium heat for 5 min and stir every 1-2 min.
6. Sprinkle sesami seeds when you transfer to a plate/bowl.